Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Waiting on Him

At this very moment I am sitting in a hospital room listening to Pauls Aunt Dorothy struggle to take a breath.She is at the end of her life journey. We have been here in this room since Friday waiting for Aunt Dorothy to pass. She hasn't done that yet so we still sit and wait. Paul has not wanted her to die alone and has spent nights here making sure she knew she was not alone. She is quite a lady with quite a story. As far as her story in my life I have come to respect,admire and love her deeply. Did I mention that I've only aquired "niece"status by marrying into it? She HAD to love all of her blood relatives because, you know they are her blood relatives. I had to earn a place In her heart. It helped that her late husband and I got along famously.He was a character and he was the love of her life. When he passed away unexpectedly she was devastated. She really struggled with being alone. We were transferred to Louisville shortly after his death. She had come to love and care for our kids and they were pretty sure she hung the moon. So as we hunted for a home in Louisville we decided to do so with her in mind. We would find a a home with a room for her as well. She came to house hunt with us and always offered her opinions on every house we took her to. When we bought our house there was a room just for her. It was a purple and she loved it. We told her "this is your room. In fact the kids and all of their friends called it that. She would come and spend weeks and holidays with us and it was wonderful. There were many times when the kids would be outside playing and Aunt Dorothy and I would sit and talk. Not just for a short time but for hours. I heard about her life, school,work,family and all the things that made her...her. It was fascinating. The thing I didn't hear about outwardly was her faith. She didn't so much talk about her faith as she lived her faith. She had lived it everyday since about the age of 12. She didn't go around proclaiming it to everyone, she SHOWED everyone what it meant to trust the Lord with her life. It wasn't an easy life but one of trust and believing. So where am I going with this. As I sit here listening to her gasping for every breath I keep finding myself begging the Lord to take her home with Him. To somehow make this easier,for her not to struggle anymore...but then it dawns on me that this is nothing new for Aunt Dorothy. Struggling has always been a part of her life. Struggling was something she has been used to for years in many ways. Struggling was exactly WHY her faith was so obvious. Aunt Dorothy's "redeemer" as she liked to refer to Him,had carried her through every struggle in His timing,love and mercy and tonite...would be no different. He would use this final struggle as a way to glorify Him. So as I sit here listening to her final breaths I am amazed yet again the the Lord would allow me to witness His endless mercy and love. Yes, Aunt Dorothy will meet Jesus very soon and she will be ready, probably alot more ready than most of us. Aunt Dorothy,you have fought the good fight and your reward in heaven is great. I wish I could see the smile on a your face when He looks at you and says "Well done, my good and faithful servant...now come rest." I will miss you so much as will the whole Bruce family. You are irreplaceable. No goodbyes...just see you again. I love you. P.s. would you give Tate and Liam a hug for me and tell them their momma and daddy miss them everyday, their little sister Charlee is a hoot and mimi and pawpaw love them to the moon...and back. "Father, thank You that You chose to bless my life by Aunt Dorothy's life. The way You show Your love to us through others amazes me. Thank You, Thank You."